Monday, February 16, 2009

blink

So about 2 weeks ago, blink-182 announced that they would again be a band. Awesome. So at first I was just like cool, I'm down with blink.

Then the other day, I don't know what happened, but I remember what blink meant, what they symbolized, what their music meant to me. And I got super freaking stoked. Actually, it was my friend Jef tagging me with one of those stupid notes, but this one much less stupid. Said note asked me to list 15 albums that changed me, that punched me in the gut, that meant something to me, that made me feel something. One of the first records I came up with was blink-182's "Enema of the State." I digress.

I couldn't really wrap my brain around how excited I had suddenly become. I had never really gone crazy about blink, I mean I'd bought the records, I'd gone to see them, and I'd learned their songs on guitar, but never really got up in arms about them. Then all of sudden last weekend (before I got deathly ill), I got so excited about them making music again I could barely stand it. And here's what I came to realize.

blink-182 made music at a time when I needed punk rock. More importantly when the world needed three dudes playing their own instruments, writing their own songs. They played this insane brand of pop-punk with their own crazy element of humor, giving anyone and everyone the finger on their way to platinum status. And most importantly, they meant it. It wasn't about dressing cool, it wasn't about eyeliner and skinny jeans, it was about t-shirts, long shorts, and hats. The music (although very tongue in cheek at times) was real, it wasn't fake it was real. Now I'm not saying that every song on their records is based off a real expeirence but they were believable. The songs were about real things, not stabbing your ex or doing drugs, it was about partying, falling in love, heartbreak, apple shampoo, and star wars. The real deal.

So in summation, I am stoked that blink-182 is making music again. Call me a kid, insult my taste, make fun of me, but by God, I'm freaking excited about a real band making real music again.

1 comment:

Steven said...

You remember back when Ryan drove the paseo and used to blast "shut up" by Blink 182. Good times...